Apr 1, 2010

More on how do we do this?

It was decided that we would leave our belongings in storage in Cali and the U-haul research was scrapped in favor of a search for a storage facility.  We began to purge even more and I would bring everything to a co-worker whose mom volunteers at a battered women's shelter.   We also began to research the shots we would need.  We consulted the CDC website and some blogs I found of people who are currently backpacking in Asia (Specifically, Operationbackpackasia.com -   I Facebook friended Ray & Genelle and began to correspond with them and they were so sweet and have been such a great resource.) 

Ray & Genelle got every vaccine known to man and it cost them a fortune.  We decided that we'd get everything they got, except Rabies vaccines.  If we were bitten by a wild dog or monkey or whatever, we could always get the shots afterward.  We'd hold off on that particular treat until it became absolutely necessary.  After deciding that we would not get the Rabies shots and the need to stay away from the monkeys that hang out around the Wats, Phyl sends me this article:

Monkey Bites Off Owner's Thumbs

Disabled Vietnam Vet Gives Up Pet After Another Attack

Her subject line:  I told you monkey's are mean!!!

P -  I still don't want to get Rabies shots, but I'm serious about you staying away from monkeys hanging around those temples.  You have to be safe and I know you'll be wanting to hold them and pet them and take a million pictures.
G-  I never doubted you.  I sure don't want a monkey on my back.  hahahaha!  Just like you, I don't want to contract rabies in a foreign land.
P - I don't want to contract rabies ANYWHERE!
G-  If I get rabies, I promise not to bite you.  Should we carry mace with us?  Is that even allowed?
P-  If I'm traveling all over Asia with all of my shit in a backpack on my back, I might need to be carrying a cane, so I can always beat attacking monkeys with my cane.
G-  Can we get arrested for assaulting  monkeys?  I'm not going to an Asian prison on a monkey battery charge.  We'll just avoid the monkeys.  Ok?
Speaking of carrying our stuff in packs on our backs, we need to start researching the kind of backpack we will need.  I've done a little research and it is completely overwhelming. I think we should go to REI this weekend and get someone to help us.