Aug 27, 2010

Those People

The early wake up call and the thrill of Glacier Bay wore us out, so we took a nap before heading to the dining room. Because we had already met so many interesting people, we were no longer leery of being randomly sat at a table with strangers. Isn't that always the way? The minute you let your guard down.............wa-pow! We were sat at a 6 top with Wink & Melony (retired, about early 70's, clearly refined people) and, we'll call them Archie & Edith (from somewhere in Oregon), because their names were not worth remembering, and because he was an ass and she was the ass' wife.


We began with the usual introductions and talk of where we were from.

Wink - I'm a retired Engineer and spent several months in New Orleans, after Katrina, rebuilding a school. I have several close friends from my engineering firm and we all retired around the same time and each year we travel to a needy community to build a facility. In the spring we'll go to the Yukon to build a community center in an Eskimo village.

G- That sounds fantastic! The people of New Orleans definitely appreciated the people such as yourself who did so much to help us after the storm. And it is great that you get to spend time with your friends from work. I'm sure you missed them after retirement.

Wink - We were very close and I do miss them, so these trips are very enjoyable.

Archie- I'm retired too, but I don't miss anyone I worked with. I disliked those people and they disliked me. It's probably because I would complain about things that weren't done right and people hated that. I took early retirement to get out of there.

P-(under her breath to G) Uh-oh! Somethings not right with this guy.

G- (raises eyebrow and nods)

The conversation continues as Archie regales us with stories of all the idiots he use to work with and how his daughter married a moron and how his neighbor is always giving him trouble, blah, blah, blah.

P- (under breath to G) How can we get this asshole to shut his mouth?

G- (under breath to P) Let's just try to ignore him and maybe he'll shut up. Just don't say anything to him.

P- So Wink, that's an unusual name. I assume it's a nickname. How did you get it.

Wink- Well, I'm German, and when my family moved to America after the war, no one could say my name, so I selected Wink.

Archie - My friend went to Germany and told me that those people all stink because they don't bathe.

G- (gasps & looks at Phyllis with eyes bulging)

Wink- Well, that's not very accurate.

Melony, P & G exchange a look of mortification. G looks at Wink with apologetic eyes.

P- Oh, I'm German too.

Archie - No it's true! My friend said they don't bathe.

G- (drops fork and flips around to face Archie, to her right) That is total horse shit!! That is just some myth that stupid Americans perpetuate!!! (sharp, squinted eyes, look of rebuke)

P- (under her breath) Yikes! Archie, you'd better shut the hell up or Gina will cut out your tongue with her butter knife.

Ah! Finally, Archie fell silent and Phyl, Gina, Wink & Melony had a lovely conversation about Germany and traveling throughout Europe. On our way back to our room.............

P- Can you freakin believe that guy.

G- Oh my gawd! A complete buffoon!!!! The use of "those people" sends a rod up my ass!!!! You know there have been several people who know we're gay who have said to me "I don't know why those people think they should be allowed to marry." Hello!!! Stupid MF!!! I am those people. Oh well, if it wasn't that stupid comment it would have been another.

P- Oh, I knew we weren't going to make it through dinner without you sticking your foot in Archie's ass.