Sep 2, 2010

How many Mt. Hoods are there?




We left Larry's on US-197, then US 97, headed for Klamath Falls, Oregon. Phyllis desperately wanted to white water raft and, although I find the proposition frightening, I have agreed to do so, because I really do want to do it. We had discussed a trip on the Deschutes River, but the weather was expected to be rainy and the water is ice cold. Contrary to what we had thought, wet suits would not be provided and people usually raft in their bathing suits. Crazy buggers! That water is just slightly too warm to put your beer in to "ice" it down and hypothermia is not on our bucket list. We did pass the area where the rafting trip would have traveled and it was beautiful and didn't look very scary.


Just past Dufor, Oregon, the town where Larry had been Postmaster, the road climbed to a high desert and we were treated to exquisite views of, what we thought was, Mount Hood.

P- Look to your left! That is incredible!! Is that Mt. Hood?

G- I think so. It would be in that direction.

P- Look up a head!!! That's gorgeous too!

G- Wow! That is spectacular! I know we just turned, but would that be Mt. Hood?

P- What other mountain would it be?

G- I'm not sure, but it seems to be following us, and that's weird.

This conversation continued for approximately an hour, with each turn in the road or crest of a new hill revealing incredible views of Mount Hood. Once the road leveled off and straightened out, we stopped at a scenic overview which provided an explanation for the fantastic views of Mt. Hood we experienced in every direction. Turns out that we were looking at Mt. Adams, Mt. Washington, and Mt. Jefferson.

G- Well, this explains it.

P- Yes, it explains that we are retarded!

G- But why did we not see any of these mountains before? Crazy I tell ya!

We continued our drive south passing The Three Sisters and Three Finger Jack, passed through Bend, Oregon and decided to take a detour to Sun River. From Sun River, we continued slightly west on Scenic Cascades Lakes Byway, even though we had no idea where we were going and Fran was of no assistance because she couldn't pick up a satellite connection. No matter, how lost can we get? We'll eventually find a way back to US-97 or we'll ask someone. Seeing no signs of civilization or an obvious return to the main highway, we stopped at Devil Lake (I'm running out of adjectives to describe the beauty of this area) and asked a woman (a hot grandma.............dare I say GILF?........some would definitely say so, but alas, those people would be 'middle aged'.) about the eventual destination of the Scenic Byway. She gave excellent advice and we decided to continue on this road.

Each turn was more beautiful than the next, other cars were few and the day was warm and sunny. As instructed by GILF, we stopped at Elk Lake Lodge and watched crazy people swim in water so cold it could stop your heart. The scene was idyllic, although it could conjure images of Jason running from the woods to slit your throat, or maybe a something from Halloween 1-15, if you were there at night, and if you watched too many dumb horror flicks when you were young.

We stopped in a small clearing where the stream that followed the road made a sharp turn into the woods. Here we sat in our chairs and enjoyed a late lunch of cheese and crackers and drank a couple of beers. The stream babbled, cascading over the rocks, and a small bird fought the current and dove underwater, eating whatever was to be found in the algae.

P- Listening to this water and the beer makes me have to pee.

G- Practice with Pinky and go pee behind those trees.

P- I don't have to practice with Pinky, I already know how to use it, as long as I can sit, that's what I'm gonna do, and I see a log over there with my name on it.

G- Ok, but don't whine to me when we get to Asia and you pee on your Keens. I put the toilet paper and the doggie bag (for the used paper) on the passenger side floor. I'm gonna practice with Pinky because it still takes me too long to psych myself up to pee standing up.

P- Whatever. I don't have the same freaky problems as you.

We packed up the car and I went off to practice with Pinky. I was trying to concentrate when I was rudely interrupted.............

P- Do you think you'll be able to pee before sunset because I'd like to find a hotel before dark.

G- Shut up! If you keep interrupting me, we'll be here forever.

P- We already have been here forever; just sit on the damn log and go!

G- Woman!  When my hands are free I'm gonna choke you!
 


Finally, success was achieved and we returned to the road.  As we drove down Hwy. 97, the area began to look familiar (we were there in July 2009) and we passed the turn off for Crater Lake.  We would have loved to have taken the detour to see it again, but it was getting late.  We reached Lower Klamath Lake as the sun was beginning to dip behind the mountains and the dark mountain outline was silhouetted by orange of varying shades.  I love these sunsets!