Aug 31, 2010

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

With each mile that we traveled, the weather became worse and the sun soon gave way to rain clouds, then a thick fog, then a misty rain. We did see pretty, colorful flowers and deer along the road on the way up. By the time we arrived at the Timberline Lodge, it was a steady rain.


P- So much for the beautiful view Larry told us about.

G- Well, let's go see the lodge which is supposed to be very pretty and Larry said there was a good restaurant.

P- Between the rain and the construction covering the front of the lodge, it's hard to see it's beauty.

The construction forced us to go through a side entrance and take an ugly elevator to the main floor. The construction was impressive in a Grand Canyon Lodge type way, but on a much smaller scale. On the way back to the elevator we got trapped behind the residents of the Shady Oaks Rest Home toting their canes, walkers and oxygen tanks. It must have taken 20 minutes just to get to the elevator and another 20 for all the people to descend the one floor to the exit door.

G- We gotta get out of here! I cannot miss the draft!!

P- What time does it start? 3:30?

G- Yes. And I need to review my papers first.

P- Alright freak! I promised you that that we'd stop whatever we were doing so you could participate in the draft.

G- But I didn't think about the lack of cell phone service up here. Get me off this mountain.



Fortunately, going back from somewhere is always faster than getting there and Gina was on the phone with her fantasy football partner, Joe, by 3:10. We hit the Columbia River by 3:20 and crossed an entirely steel bridge onto the Washington state side of the gorge.

P- I don't like this bridge. Stormy is wiggling and it makes me nervous. She's not getting good traction. I've never seen a bridge where you drive on only steel grate. Why is there no concrete?

G- What? Now I'm a structural engineer? We have driven on steel bridges before. Drive faster and you'll get across it quicker.

P- I just don't like it. It's too narrow. They need to do something about this. It think it's unsafe.

G- For gawd sake, Gladys, the bridge has probably been here for over 50 years. While I'm on the phone doing my draft, you can call someone with Washington DOT and tell them about your concerns. You should just be happy that there are no bears on the damn bridge. Now please get me on the other side and let's stop at that park over there so I can set up my papers and get on the phone for my draft before my damn head explodes!!!!

P- I don't know why I keep you! You know nothing about bridges over forest streams, over gorge rivers and couldn't defend me if a bear attacked. You give me nothing but bridges over troubled waters!!

G- Shut up, fool and pull over!!! It's 3:26!!!! And I'm starving?

P- Yes. Let's eat the picnic lunch I packed since we didn't get to do it on the rainy mountain.

G- Great! Give me a beer and make me a sandwich while I pick my team.

P- Yes mam!

G- Thank you honey!!!

P- Go pick a good team, my sweetie, and I'll take care of the food. I know you love your football.

It was awesome picking my fantasy team, via telephone with my buddy Joe, as I overlooked the Columbia River Gorge. Phyl sat next to me and kept my beer cold. The sun came out again and all was good with the world! We returned to Larry's and told him about our day. He cooked us a delicious halibut dinner and then we laughed our asses off watching the movie Sordid Lives. How is it possible that we have gotten to these ages and had not seen that movie?