Nov 20, 2010

Singapore Slog

The flight from Hong Kong to Singapore was about 3 hours and arrived in Singapore at 11:30 pm. On our way to baggage claim.....

P- It will be a miracle if that checked bag makes it. I can't imagine how it will since we checked in for the Wednesday flight to Hong Kong but we didn't get on until the Thursday flight.

G- When I checked us in on the Thursday flight, Gina requested the bag be put on this flight. We have to find a Wifi area so we can book a flight to Bali. I read that the Singapore airport has free Wifi. First let's go to baggage claim and get the bag.

P- It looks like we have to go through customs to get to the baggage area.

G- Shit!! I don't want to go through customs because I don't want to have to return and do the damn strip search again. Whah!

P- No whining! You try to get on the internet and I'll go see if we can get the bag without going through customs.

G- (after Phyl returned) I couldn't get on. I found what appears to be the connection, but it says I need a password.

P- The woman at the custom's desk said that there is a 24 hour information desk upstairs. Let's go up there.

At the information desk we received the internet password and were told that we did not have to retrieve our checked bag. When we check in for our flight to Bali, they can call for the bag to be sent to that flight. That is a fantastic system!!!! If that can be done, why do people lose bags that were checked on a direct flight? It defies logic. We sat and searched for a flight to Bali that left as soon as possible and was cheapest. We settled on a KLM flight leaving that evening, Saturday, at 5:30 pm. It was currently 1:30 am.

P- Ok, now that we've got the flight booked, what do you want to do? The woman on the plane said that there is a hotel in this airport, short term sleeping rooms, and showers. Do you feel sleepy?

G- I feel delirious, but not sleepy, per se. I could go for a shower and a change of clothes, then some sleeping.

P- I agree. I need a shower! I feel disgusting and I think a hot shower would give me the boost I need to make it to Bali.

We went to the hotel first and learned that it was full until 9:00 am. We could get a sleep room for $30. per person for 3 hours.

G- I'm not paying $60. to sleep for 3 hours when I'm not even sleepy right now. When we become sleepy later, we'll find a place.

P- I agree. Let's get a shower for $6.50 each.

The shower area was empty. Surprise, surprise. It was the middle of the night. We each enjoyed a wonderful hot shower and changed our clothes. We felt rejuvenated. As a bonus, a bottle of water and a wafer cookie. Back in the concourse, we found a free foot massage machine.

P- OMG! This feels fantastic! I wish I could get my back into this machine..

G- Stop moaning! Someone will hear you. Look at the warning sign. Why can't you get a foot massage if you're pregnant or menstruating? Seems like those are 2 times I definitely need my feet rubbed.

The night went by fairly quickly and we still were not sleepy. At 5:30 am we ate breakfast and strolled through the butterfly garden. The Singapore airport (Changi) is an incredible place! A free movie theater, butterfly garden, cactus garden, orchid garden, wifi, foot massagers, and luggage carts. Also, upscale shops, spas, yoga studios and restaurants. It was clean and beautiful. By far it was the most fantastic airport we had ever visited.

After breakfast we went to the area where we'd check in, stopping along the way for more foot massaging. We learned that we could not check in until 2:30 pm. We began an internet search for a place to stay in Bali. After an exhaustive search, we booked a hotel.

G- What time is it?

P- It's only 9:30 am.

G- Are you shitting me? Gawd! The night flew by quickly, but since 6:30 am the time has dragged by.

P- You want to find a place to sleep?

G- It is so crowded and noisy now I can't imagine that we'll be able to sleep. Also, I am like a zombie, but I'm not sure if I can sleep.

The hours dragged on like pulling taffy through a mosquito net. We became more and more delirious and fantasized about sleeping, in a bed, for days on end. We drank espresso frappuccinos from Starbucks, but it didn't help. Finally, in the early afternoon, we ate lunch in a Chinese restaurant.

P- Ugh! Chopsticks again. I forgot that we were going to have to eat with these damn things everywhere we went.

G- Asia, Gladys, Asia.

P- Is this part of the Asia diet you've been telling me about? You know I can't eat with these things. By the time I get 1 grain of rice, at a time, in my mouth, the rice is cold and I am over it.

G- Hold them like this and try to get good scoops on the sticks.

P- (As she tries to shovel the rice into her mouth, it falls off the chopsticks and careens into her cleavage.) Oh, this Asian diet is going to work well since I can't get any food into my stomach.

G- Your stomach will be empty, but your cleavage will be full.

After lunch we walked around trying to stay awake. We stopped again for free foot massages and went to our gate. This had been the longest day of our lives!!! After going through another checkpoint at the gate, we finally boarded our plane for Bali. The food on the KLM flight (a ginger cole slaw and curry chicken) was considerably better than the United food. After I ate, I passed out.

P- Gi, close your mouth before you start drooling.

G- Leave me alone! I can't keep my eyes open one more minute! At least I didn't fall asleep with food in my mouth like I did on the last leg of my return trip from Russia.

P- I wasn't with you then so it didn't matter.