Nov 16, 2010

We are on our first leg of our incredible journey that we've been planning for 9 months. That time frame seems appropriate as we feel that we are giving birth to a new life and new possibilities as large as the whole world. We are feeling a flood of emotions............. excitement, anxiety, joy, fear, peace, and sadness. Phyl said good-bye to her 90 year old Mimi and I said good-bye to my 94 year old grandfather; not to mention our son, Connor, and our families and friends.


We were asked how can we leave at such an important time in Connor's life, how can we leave our grandparents who are battling cancer and congestive heart failure, and many wonder how we can be so irresponsible to quit our jobs and spend our savings. We both love our son, grandparents, parents, siblings, and friends. It is difficult to leave everyone. Hell, it was difficult to make the decision to LET GO of everything we had that made us feel safe, a home, jobs, savings, and the love of those closest to us. There are always reasons why NOW is not the right time to take such a leap , but when is the right time? If we thought in those terms, we would never have moved from Nola to Cali and we cherish the 2 years we lived in the bay area. If we thought in those terms, we would have to squash our own dreams of extended travel. We feel that this trip will change our future in ways we cannot even fathom.

The past 36 hours have been extremely stressful!! As much as we have prepared to leave, it seemed as though there were so many lose ends to be tied up at the last minute. My mom was an amazing help and we are very grateful to have been able to stay with her while we were in Nola. Thanks to her for dropping us off at the airport and then running to buy a camera memory card to replace the one that was left at her house, then getting it to us in time for our flight. We also owe a debt of gratitude to Jeremy for all that he has done to help us with our flights! We are forever thankful!

G- I can't believe we are on our way to Asia!!!

P- I can't believe I'm going 10,000 miles away from home, for God knows how long, with only 25 pounds of belongings.

G- I can't believe that I'm wearing socks with sandals. It's a sad, sad day for that to have come to pass.

P- I can't believe that I'm going to be seen with you wearing socks with sandals.

G- My feet get cold on planes. You'll be wearing yours too before long. Besides, my fanny pack, in the forest floor motif, (we'll call it Sarah) is far uglier than my socks and sandals.

P- That's true! I just hope that no small animals try to nest in it when we get to Asia.