Nov 21, 2010

Let's Take a Nap


Sinur Bali Hotel courtyard.
 We slept in some sort of an unconscious state. I'm not sure that we even rolled over once. I awoke to the sound of a cart being wheeled across the stone path outside our room. Phyl was still snoring. I could smell incense burning...... the morning offering to the various Gods. It was 6:20 am. I dozed briefly, but stirred when I heard Phyl moving. Around 7:00 am we decided that we weren't going to fall back asleep, so we dressed and went for breakfast.


P- Don't forget to use your purifier to brush your teeth.

G- I'm glad you reminded me because I was going to forget. Geez. I usually like to rinse my mouth about 10 times to be sure all of the toothpaste is gone. I guess I won't be doing that anymore.

P- No. Just a few squirts on the brush to get it off and 2 swishes in the mouth. You'll get use to it.

The hotel restaurant was about 15 yards from our room and open on 2 sides. The buffet breakfast consisted of fruit (watermelon, pineapple & papaya), coffee, tea, orange juice, fried potatoes, sausage & french toast.

P- Before you pour 2 cups, let me see what this coffee tastes like.

G- It looks very strong and appears to have a lot of grounds in it.

P- Actually, mix it with milk and it's not bad. It's no Community New Orleans Blend, but it will work.

Another guest – If you'd like eggs, just tell the woman at the desk how you'd like them cooked. They are included in the buffet.

We pigged out on a big breakfast, met some of the other guests, and hung out on the computer as the restaurant was also the Wifi area. Then we put on our bathing suits and walked to the Legian Beach, via a narrow alley also used by mopeds and motorcycles.

P- I sure as hell would not walk down this alley at night. Can you imagine the roaches at night?


the alley to the beach
 G- I'm with ya. Are there roaches here?

P- I don't know, but I don't want to find out in this alley.

G- Listen! A moped is coming. Squish yourself into this little cove in the wall.

We exchanged hellos with the moped driver. He slowed as he went past us and said “it's ok”. We reached the beach after walking for about 10 minutes. It was a wide beach, maybe 40-50 yards and stretched as far as the eye could see in either direction. There were many wooden beach chairs, with umbrellas, for rent. We walked into the water, of the Indian Ocean, and walked along the shoreline.

G- Ah! Now this is what I think of as a beach. The sand is not as white & powdery as Florida, but it is fluffy and the water is warm.

Legian Beach on west coast of Bali
P- It is fabulous! I loved the beauty of the California beaches, but I could never consider them real beaches because to me, a beach is like Florida and the water should be warm enough to swim in without dying of hypothermia.




It was extremely hot on the beach and we had little energy to expend, so we headed back to the hotel and jumped in the pool. We struck up a conversation with a lovely Greek woman named Pita, with whom we would share many conversations and a few meals. Then we vegetated on lounge chairs.

P- Look at the mold on these umbrellas.

G- I've been seeing them, but I don't think it's actually going to rain.

P- What the hell are you talking about?

G- What?

P- I'm talking about the umbrellas, not the clouds, Grandpa!!

G- I'm not deaf, I'm only barely conscious. Let's go take a nap.


street scenes
 It was 4:00 pm when we fell into a deep sleep. I had set the Blackberry alarm for 6:30 pm so we could get up and have dinner and try to get on a normal schedule. At 6:30 pm the alarm rang and I hit the snooze button. It rang again 15 minutes later, and I hit the snooze button. And 15 minutes later I snoozed and moved the phone next to my pillow. I continued to hit the snooze button, as Phyllis snored, every 15 minutes until 8:30 pm, when we finally got up, grabbed a bite to eat, and were back asleep by 10:00 pm. Traveling for 4 days and sleeping in the airport 2 nights took an enormous toll on us!!!!