Nov 27, 2010

United Nations

When the rain finally stopped I woke Phyl and we dressed.


G- Let's get to the Lotus Cafe before it starts to rain again. It's 3:00 pm and Michael told us they have wireless internet between 3pm – 6pm.


Lotus Temple
 P- I don't understand what happens to the internet the rest of the time.

G- Beats the hell out of me but it's driving me crazy not being able to get on line since we've been here. I have completely given up on that damn computer they have in the breakfast area. It's slower than dial up.

P- I'm hungry too and I don't want to eat that damn bread again. If they're gonna make break with some nasty crème shit in it, shouldn't they put it by pastries and not with the other bread?

G- Well, I assume that one of the words on the wrapper says it's got nasty crème in it, but since we can't read it, we'll just have to scrape if off as best we can and eat the rest. Grab your headlamp because I'm sure we'll return after dark and that path along the stream has only a few lights for the whole way.

P- I'm sure it's gonna be dark as pitch and I don't want to end up in the stream.

When we reached the Lotus Cafe, we took stock of the fact that it, like all places in Bali, was completely open and did not look at all cool. Across the street, however, was a Starbucks with a fan and wireless internet.

G- I know we said we would not hang out in Fourbucks, but I could use a mocha frappuccino and the internet is probably reliable.

P- Fine with me. The Lotus Cafe looks pricey.

G- And, at least Fourbucks sits in front of a temple and lotus pond, so we can view something beautiful while we sit here.

We sat in Fourbucks (The prices are the same everywhere!!) and savored our frappuccino while we checked emails, uploaded posts to the blog, and searched for accommodations on Lombok. We were at a fairly large table in front of the fan when a nicely dressed group of Indian ladies walked in.

G- How can they look so nice and fresh in this heat?

P- I don't know. We smell like goats and look like hell and they look like they just walked out of a/c in freshly laundered clothes.

G- I use to look neat, pressed, and clean. In my prior life.

P-You still look cute, Agnes.

G- Thanks, but don't be silly.

We made eye contact and smiled at the pretty lady headed in our direction and she asked if they could join us at the table so that they could also be in the fan's path. We welcomed them and moved over. Shortly, a gentleman joined them. I often feel like a bit of a cretan when comparing myself to Indian ladies. They always seem so well dressed, poised, and refined. Words I would not use to describe myself. These particular ladies smelled very good too. I was jealous!!

After a time we began talking to Tarini and Gomzee. We exchanged names, information about our homes, and our reasons for visiting Ubud. They were from Mumbai (formerly Bombay) on a holiday after traveling to New Zealand and Asia on business. The other ladies went off shopping and we sat and talked with Tarini & Gomzee for about 1.5 hours. We talked about our adventure, their business giving motivational seminars, American politics, Indian politics, India's relationship with Pakistan, America, & China, America's relationship with other countries & Hurricane Katrina. It was a fascinating discussion and one we enjoyed tremendously. Of course, Phyllis had Gomzee cracking up at some of the off the wall things she'd say. I had the spark of an idea. Before departing, we exchanged information and they invited us to Mumbai.


Gomzee & Tarini
 P- Tarini told me that she is shy and has never asked someone to join them at their table. She believes that maybe we met for a reason.

G- Well, we did discuss that we were very open to the new ideas and opportunities this adventure would afford us. Talking to them has given me some new ideas about a possible career path. Maybe our meeting was not coincidental. Maybe meeting them today will be the spark that takes our life in a whole new direction.

P- I liked them a lot. How can we know what will be the thing to change our life? But I do feel like we met them for a reason.


Dutch couple
 We walked down the main street, past the large market place and up a narrow side street to a restaurant that Michael had recommended. It was very crowded and we were lucky to get a seat. Not long after ordering the dish he recommended, Ginger Cashew Chicken, Michael arrived with a group of his friends. The restaurant was small with only a few long tables. We sat across from a very interesting Dutch couple who gave us recommendations for a hotel in Lovina. They had traveled all around the world and he had biked from the Pyrenees back to Holland; basically his own Tour de France. To our right was a young couple from the Basque Region of Spain. We were absolutely in love with this international environment and the discussions about the world that it afforded.