Dec 19, 2010

Symphony, and Popeye's, in the Park

G- I'm glad I set the alarm today because it's so dark in this room we would never wake up. Did you hear the housekeeping cart all night long?


P- No, I didn't hear it.

G- The hookers must have been busy last night. Why else would housekeeping be cleaning all during the night.  Really, I'm not joking, have you ever been in a hotel where housekeeping worked all throughout the night?

P- Now that you mention it, I can't say that I have, but I don't care what they do, as long as they don't wake me up or leave behind any bed bugs or STD's that make their way to my room.

We left the hotel and picked up breakfast at the 7/11. Breakfast was a peanut butter stuffed, green waffle and some chocolate milk we shared, as we continued our walk to the metro terminal.

G- Check out what that chicks wearing. Looks like she's still working this morning.  Shouldn't she have to wait until after 12:00 PM?  You know, in the same way that you have to wait until after 12:00 to buy liquor, on Sunday, in Texas & Florida; to ensure that you're going to church and not drinking.  HA!

P- Well Agnes, I know that's not her Sunday go to church clothes, so she must still be wearing that get up from last night.  And, anyone with half a brain who wants to drink on Sunday morning, but is unfortunately enough to live in Texas, can buy their liquor the night before.

G- Or last night was slow and she's hoping to pick up a Sunday morning trick. HA! Look at the sign across the street............. Holi Department Store. That doesn't look like any department store I've ever seen.

P- Hysterical! Maybe we should do some Christmas shopping there?

Our bellies full from our milk and waffle, we got on the subway and headed to Orchid Road, the major shopping street in Singapore. It makes Rodeo Drive look quaint and is more on the order of Madison Ave in NY. The malls, lining both sides of the street, are enormous and absolutely packed with people. We walked around, amazed, for a while, then headed to the Singapore Botanic Gardens. We were told, by a tall man, that it was a 15-20 minute walk. Unfortunately, it turned out to be about an hour, was exceptionally hot, and our feet were killing us. By the time we arrived at the Gardens, we were hungry and dehydrated.

G- I swear I feel like I'm about to faint.

P- Me too and I'm starving.

G- Let's walk through the garden, try to enjoy it without fainting, toward the concession area.

P- Sounds like a plan. Then we'll have to sit for a while because my knee and my feet are hurting so bad, I might fall down.

Our food selection was extremely limited, so we settled on sharing a hot dog, which actually tasted more like meat than any hot dogs we've ever eaten, and each got a bottle of water. We sat under a tree, people watching, and rested.

G- Do you hear music?

P- No. What kind of music?

G- It sounds like a symphony is playing. It's coming from that direction; let's go see.

P- Whah! I'm not sure I'm ready to get up.

G- Come on. It can't be far and if there is no symphony playing, I'm sure we can find another bench. It is Sunday, so maybe they're having a concert.

We walked down the path just a short distance and came upon a large lawn in a small valley. At the far end was an amphitheater, surrounded by a pond that was filled with water lillies. On the stage was an orchestra made up of children, but they sounded fantastic.

G- Ok, this is fantastic! Let's sit here and enjoy the music and rest. What does that sign say?

P- It says there will be music from 4pm – 7pm. I'd be perfectly happy spending the afternoon here listening to music.

G- Me too, but I sure wish we had our wine and cheese.

P- Me too, but we can't have everything. Whah! Look at those women with the champagne. I want champagne! They look like girly girls. I think we can take them! Give up that champagne!!!!

G- Didn't you just tell me we can't have everything?

P- Yes. But I can still WANT it, can't I? That woman reminds me of Coco.

G- I was just thinking the same thing....I know that I'm not seeing a bag of Popeye's chicken!!! Look at that group of boys in front of us with the Popeye's bag.

We sat on the hill overlooking the valley and the theater for 3 hours and enjoyed the music and watching all of the people enjoy their Sunday afternoon in the park. We enjoyed it very much and it was a bit of normalcy for us because this is exactly the kind of thing we enjoy doing at home.

After the concert we were rejuevenated and walked to a bus stop and took a bus back to the malls. We should have taken the damn bus to the garden, but we thought we'd enjoy the walk. It should be said that Singapore has the most incredible transportation system. It is extensive, extremely user friendly, and a fraction of the cost of the BART in San Francisco. We loved that Singapore was so clean. Gum is not for sale and I guess you face stiff penalties, and perhaps caning, if you litter. It seems to be an effective deterent system.

Back in our little, not quite as clean as the rest of Singapore, red light district, we stopped for dinner at an Indian restaurant. Restaurant may be too loose a term............it was a narrow place with some very delapidated tables and chairs, and looks like it has not been refurbished, in any way, since 1963.

G- Well, this place sure does look a little scary, but the food looks good and so do the prices.

P- Yeah, and look in the case, they have mashed potatoes and eggplant. Let's just get several things and share it.

G- Should we eat off of these forks or pull out our own?

P- I think we should use our own. I'm going next door to 7/11 to get a diet coke with ice. You want one?

G- Yes. I'll wait here for the food. If you find any napkins at 7/11, bring some back because I'm not seeing a napkin in this place.

P- Here's your coke. No napkins in 7/11.

G- Go wash your hands in that sink over there. They even have soap, but nothing to dry your hands on.

Don't touch anything on your way back, especially not the chairs you have to walk through. And check out that guy eating his food with his hands.

P- Do you see that those guys are filling up those plastic cups with water, drinking it with their food, then putting the cups back on the sink? They're not getting washed.

G- Blech!!!! See that guy? He got his food, wrapped in paper, with wax on one side. He had rice in one and what looks like a curry chicken in the other. I know a lot of people eat with their hands, but isn't it done with a little more dignity and maybe a piece of naan to help with the scooping?

P- That guy is just a pig! He has mixed everything up and is literally shoveling the food in with his whole hand like a starved animal!

G- Well, I don't know why we were lucky enough to be given plates and bowl, but I'm sure glad we gave off the impression that we like eating on cookware! This food is incredibly good!!!

P- Did you taste the potatoes yet? They're good, but so spicy! I think they have red pepper flakes in them. The food may be great, but watching that guy is making me sick.

G- I hear ya! Sophie (our dainty little Pomeranian, may she rest in peace) employed more ettiquette when she ate the neighbor's cat's shit! Try not to look at him.

P- Glad we have our own sporks. That was a good call.

We spent our last night in hooker hotel, but it was pretty quiet. I guess Sunday is a slow night.