Dec 22, 2010

Western Day in Melaka



We spent half the morning looking for accommodation in Kuala Lumpur. All of the guests were getting involved in helping us find a place with suggestions, guide books, maps and websites. Finally we found a place via LateStays.com, a website that Nancie suggested. With that monkey finally off our backs, we headed out to the Chinese cemetery...............


P- Can I bitch everyday about having to climb a million steps to get to everything we want to see?

G- Yes you can. I believe that it's warranted. My legs hurt so much........

P- And the problem is that everyday they start to hurt earlier and earlier in the day.

G- I'm there with ya sista. Not to mention the fact that I am so damn sick and tired of sweating. It's like a little slice of hell while we're trying to have our adventure of a lifetime.

Finally reaching the top of the very large hill, we enjoyed the views of Melaka and walked through the graves. There was a nice breeze at the top of the hill and the clouds moved in signaling rain. We were thrilled. After walking around for several hours, we returned to the guesthouse to cool off and decide where we'd go next.

G- Hanna & Mike told us that there was a movie theater in that mall that's a few blocks away, and it looks like it's going to be a rainy afternoon, do you want to go see a movie?

P- I would love to sit in the a/c and watch a movie. Also, I'd love to have some popcorn!!

We walked over to the mall and on the way spotted a McDonald's.

G- I know we said we would not eat at McDonald's while in Asia, but I'm ready to say screw that!!! How about you?

P- Yes. I need a burger and something that reminds me of food from home; let's eat at McDonald's. Also, I'd love to have a big diet coke with ICE!!!!!  And NO rice!!!

We went into the McDonald's and got quarter pounder meal deals with cokes and ice. The cashiers were girls and wore uniforms, complete with black headscarves. All of the food cost about $5.00 USD. The McDonald's was hopping because it was right next to the mall and near the university.

G- When we first entered Malaysia I was startled, or it would turn my head, to see women in headscarves, but now I'm kind've getting use to it. It still is weird seeing McDonald's uniforms that include headscarves, but I can totally see how you'd think nothing of it if you grew up with it.

P- I was skeptical when Zareel told us that there is no specific age when girls start wearing them, but since we've been here, I've seen very young girls in them, and some older ones that might just have a loose scarf or none at all.

G- Yeah, I can't figure out the rule or maybe it just depends on the girl or on the girl's parents. And, even though we know the whole cover yourself with a headscarf rule is just some bullshit made up by Muslim men who wrote/write the rules of the religion, these women don't seem beaten down.

P- I thought Muslim women had to walk behind their husbands, but most couples walk side by side and some even hold hands.

G- I've noticed that too. And the men are much more engaged with caring for the children than I would’ve expected. But I think it is much more liberal here than in the Middle East. Some of the scarves and shirts are very pretty.

P- Some women definitely use their headscarves like accessories. They are pretty, but in this heat, I don't know how they can wear them without dropping dead from heatstroke.

After eating our lunch we went into the mall and up to the 5th floor to the theater. Our choices were limited, especially if we wanted to watch a movie in English, so we selected The Social Network.

G- 2 for Social Network.

Cashier – Pick seats.

P- We select our seats now?

Cashier – Yes.

The computer screen showed the whole theater and we selected our seats. The cashier printed the tickets which included our selected seats.

P- That sure is a nice perk. Now we can walk around the mall and come back just before the movie starts.


escalator from the movie
 We ended up in a Carrefour Grocery that was in the mall. Carrefour carries a lot of western food items. We could hear the thunder and rain outside, so we bought 2 umbrellas.

G- Look! Frosted Flakes!!! I'm buying some.

P- And I'm buying some Pringles. What the hell?! Look at these flavors.................. soft shell crab, seaweed & shrimp, honey & basil, and original.............These are the freakiest flavors I've ever heard of!!! I think I'll just get original.

G- We also need more laundry detergent. Hey, look at these bars.

P- A bar of Fab! I remember that from when I was a kid and it's the only one I recognize, so we're going with that. That first one we bought did not smell so good and I don't want to have to re-wash my drawers in dandruff shampoo for them to smell clean.


blueberry & hazelnut, soft shell crab
 G- I think it will be easier to wash with a bar instead of powder. Let's get 2 bars.

We also found a box of Nature's Valley breakfast bars and bought that. Then we headed back to the movie theater where they confiscated our bag of groceries and put them in a locker. We did purchase popcorn, but unfortunately they only had caramel popcorn and not plain. That was a disappointment, but we ate the caramel popcorn, shared a coke and watched the movie while sitting in the a/c. It was sheer heaven!!!

At breakfast we had made plans with Nancie to meet her for dinner, so we hurried back to the homestay, picked up Nancie and set off to find a place to eat. Liz & Esmond had recommended a place so we went there. Unfortunately it was closed when we arrived, even though it was only 7:30 pm. Since that place was closed, we walked around the corner and selected a Portuguese/Malaysian restaurant with a/c. We split 2 pitchers of ice cold beer, spinach, calamari cooked in green curry and spicy BBQ shrimp. It was an expensive dinner, by Malaysian standards, and cost us $30.00 USD for the 2 of us, but it was very enjoyable!


neighborhood kids playing Manchala
 Earlier in the day we had agreed to share a cab, with Nancie, to Kuala Lumpur, but over dinner we realized that we were leaving in the morning and she was staying 1 more day. That plan dashed, when we returned to the homestay, Kenny arranged for a cab to pick us up in the morning to take us to the bus station. Nancie had needed to leave at 6:00 am to catch her flight in KL, we were more flexible so we didn't have to leave until 8:30 am. I sent the KL hotel info to my mom just in case we were never heard from again. I had started doing this as a safety precaution. Then we showered and went to bed.