Mar 11, 2011

Buoyant Junk

We were sound asleep in the comfort of the fluffy pillows and comforter, in the king size bed, when the shrill of children's' voices pierced the silence. It was 7:30 AM.


G- Please don't tell me that we are next to a school.

P- It sounds like we are.

G- So much for being in a room away from the street noise.

P- We're in Asia. There is noise all around.

Staying in bed, we dozed and listened to the chatter. Of course, we could not understand what was being said, and somehow that made it slightly less annoying.

P- Listen! They're singing.

G- Sounds like nursery rhymes.

P- I wonder what they're saying. It reminds me of that convent in Venice when we awoke to Italian children singing in that hall under our room.

G- Yes, you're right. Ironic that we frequently stay in lodging next to, or above, schools.

P- Kids are stalking us.

G- We might as well get up and start the search for a pair of pants for you.

P- UGH! I am never going to find pants to fit me in the country of pencil people.

G- We also have to book the Ha Long Bay tour.

The New Century Hotel was such a fortunate find. Rather, we were so lucky that the owner found us. Breakfast was included in our daily rate and afforded us the choice of eggs & toast, pancakes, or noodles. Best of all, the coffee was good. After breakfast, we sat down with the hotel owner and discussed tours.

Owner- These are the tours that I recommend.

G- Have you personally seen the boats and know of the safety records of these operators?

P- We don't want to miss Ha Long Bay, but we're nervous since that boat sank. Drowning on Ha Long Bay is not on my list of things to do.

Owner - That was an old boat and it was a very cheap tour.

G- I'd rather pay more for the non-sinking boat. I can't even imagine the terror those poor people felt trapped in their rooms as that boat sank.

P- The man who escaped said it sank in less than a minute. He also said that the boat had been listing.

Owner - These are safe Junks.

G- Maybe I'd feel safer if they weren't called Junks.

P- Yes! In America I'd never want to cruise on Junks.

Owner - (looks at us quizzically)

G- I like the looks of this boat and the tour looks like a good price. What's the difference between the standard and deluxe rooms?

Owner - The deluxe rooms are larger, there are only 2 of them, and they're on the main deck of the boat. The standard rooms are below.

P- If deluxe is not too much more, I want the deluxe. I want to be on the main deck in case the boat starts sinking.

G- It looks like the room has its own balcony.  If necessary, we could fling open the balcony door and jump off.

P- I'd prefer not to have to jump off the boat at any time during our cruise.

Owner - Yes, it has a balcony. The difference is about $30. USD. I talk to all of my customers about their experience and everyone is pleased with this tour. The only complaint is that the same foods are served each day, so when you take a 2 night tour, you'll be eating the same thing for 2 days in a row.

G- I'll eat the same food for a week as long as my boat does not sink.

P- What about life jackets?

Owner - Of course you will have life jackets.

G- Why are you worried, you have your own floatation devices. I'm screwed!

P- I'll save you my baby.

Owner - This boat will not sink.

G- We're only joking. Now is probably the safest time to be on a Junk in Ha Long Bay. I'm sure all boats were inspected after that boat sank and all of those tourists were killed.

P- I'm not worried, but I still want to be on the main deck.

So it was that we selected the Dolphin Cruises and the Cuong Thinh Junk, paying $135.00 each for a 3 day, 2 night cruise. We spent the remainder of the day in search of pants for Phyllis, without success. After scouring the streets of the Old Town, and negotiating for 20 minutes, Phyl did manage to purchase a thick, long sleeve shirt. Upon our return to the hotel, we were greeted by Nam, an early 20 something guy who worked there.

G- Hi Nam! Tomorrow we are going to Ha Long Bay. What time will the bus pick us up?

Nam - You should be downstairs to eat your breakfast at 6:30.

G- What time will the bus arrive?

Nam - Yes, you eat breakfast in lobby at 6:30 and you have enough time.

P- But when will the bus pick us up?

Nam - After you eat breakfast, the bus come.

G- (about to swallow her tongue and fall onto the floor in a convulsion) Nam, we will not eat breakfast. I cannot put food into my body before 10:00 AM.

Nam- (Stares at Gina with a look of utter confusion.) No breakfast?

P- Forget about the breakfast, Nam. What time will the bus come to pick us up?

Nam - Um, bus come at 7:30 AM.

G- And the ride to Ha Long Bay will take about 3 hours?

Nam - Yes.

P- We'll be served lunch when we get on the boat?

Nam - Yes.

G- Thank you, Nam. We'll see you in the morning. We're going to leave our large backpacks here but we'll bring them down in the morning.

Nam - Ok. Put them with the others on that wall. I watch them.

When we got to our room..............

P- I think you showed great restraint to not grab Nam and choke him when he kept telling you what time to eat breakfast.

G- The idea of not eating breakfast is anathema to him.

P- Anyone who doesn't wake up and eat their noodle bowl by 7:00 AM is insane.

G- Blech! The thought of it makes me want to vomit. And to eat a big meal before getting on a bus for a 3 hour ride! Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.