Sep 12, 2010

Beignet Mountains

Back to our previous schedule, we awoke around 8:30 AM and showered.   Phyl packed up the cooler and I packed the clothes.  I was checking a few things on line when she began taking stuff out to the car.

G- What are you doing?  Why are you rushing me?!  Can't you wait until I shut down the computer?!!

P- I'm just helping by taking the stuff to the car.

G- Are you gonna stand out there with it or just leave it out there for someone to steal?  Why are you rushing me?  Can I have 5 more minutes to shut down the damn computer?

P- You are crazy!  I'm only trying to help you.

G- You are rushing me!

P- I'm not sure I'm gonna live through your peri-menopausal mood swings.  You are a bitch!

G- Even if I'm a bitch for 3 years, it's still just catch back for what you put Connor & me through when you went through it.  When you know I'm in a crazy state, stop poking sticks into my cage!!!!

All talking stopped.  I packed the car and we drove away in a pissy huff.  (The secret is out.  We don't get along perfectly all of the time. HA! ) Now it was daytime in Nevada, the beautiful stars were gone and we're starting off the day pissed off.

We drove for about an hour without talking until the phone rang.

Miche - Hey Gi!  Where are y'all?  What are you doing?

G- We're in Nevada on our way to Utah.  I'm driving so talk to Phyllis.  We had a fight and she's not talking to me, so you talk to her.

P- Your friend is a bitch and I  might kill her before she makes it through menopause.

G- (yelling in the background)  Miche, remind her what she put me through all those years when she was going through it.

Miche - (laughs) I'm sure glad I'm not in the car with y'all.

The tensions eased.  I apologized and we ate our yogart and granola breakfast as we watched the brown landscape fly by.  The one good thing is the 75 mph speed limit through much of Nevada.

As we neared Utah, the flat land erupted with some small mountains.  We passed the Okie Mountains (what Natalie called them) ................

P- Look at those mountains.  They look like beignets covered with powered sugar.

G- Yum!  I can't wait to eat some when we get to Nola.

P- What is that motorcycle pulling?

G- It looks like a coffin!  People are freaks! Maybe he's pickin up his aunt and since he has no roof to put her on if she dies, he's draggin a coffin.

I texted Jeremy for his address and Phyl put it into Fran.  Ya didn't think Fran had been packed away, did ya?  Phyl had to have Fran on the dashboard from the minute we left San Francisco.  She changed to the 'night screen' between Lake Tahoe and Reno.  We had to keep her on, even during the night, so we'd "know the speed limit".  Phyl loves her computer games and I'm convinced this explains her fascination with Fran.

We arrived at Jeremy's & Natalie's house around 5:30pm. Natalie had made a yummy dinner and it was fabulous to see them again. 

(It must be stated, for the record, that if we did not love Jeremy & Natalie and if they did not live in Utah, we would boycott the state and go around it entirely, so as to not spend even 1 cent of our money there.  We are still appauled and angry at the Mormon Church's meddling into California politics and the way they poured money into the Prop. 8 campaign.  You have an entire state!  Can you not be happy with that?  Stay the hell out of ours!!!!! It is our opinion that all GLBT and anyone who loves someone who is GLBT should avoid spending even 1 cent of their money in Utah.  It's a shame because southern Utah is one of the most beautiful states in the country.  Ok, enough said.)