Sep 14, 2010

Mesa or Butte?

We were up early and getting our things together when Natalie's & Jeremy's boys came downstairs to eat breakfast.  Cameron, age 10, was making lunch for himself and Matthew, age 7, as Matthew tied his shoes.

Matthew - (becoming frustrated) Oh crap!

Cameron- Matthew! Fix your tongue.

Matthew - I'm sorry that I said crap, Gina & Phyllis.

P - That's ok, baby.

Cameron - No!  The tongue on your shoe.

Children began to pour in through the front door. 

P - Natalie, who do all of these children belong to and why are they here?

Natalie - They walk down from up the block and congregate here before they walk to school together.

P- Sounds like y'all should have purchased the house on the top of the hill or keep the front door locked.

We kiss Jeremy good-bye as he heads off to work and Natalie shoos the kids off to school. 

G- Oye Vey!  Too much commotion for me so early in the morning.

P- Come on, Agnes!  It's time for us to go anyway.

G- (scratching the dog's head)  Good-bye Otis.  See you next time.

Natalie - Please!  He will certainly die before you're back here again.

G- That's what you said 2 years ago and he was 150 then.  I don't think he's ever going to die.  He'll just keep walking in circles forever with his poor blind, deaf, half dead self. 

P- With all the commotion in this house, Otis is the luckiest one!  I'm sure he's happy to be deaf & blind.

G- (looks at Natalie and shakes head) What am I gonna do with her?

We hit the road and didn't have to drive too long before we entered Wyoming. The change in scenery was dramatic!  We left the mountains of Utah for the plains of Wyoming. 

P- Gawd!  I did not expect Wyoming to look like this. 

G- Yes.  I pictured it to be mountainous and forested.  Maybe that's how it is in the northern part of the state.

P- You think it's green around Jackson Hole?

G- I don't know. I've never been there.

P- What's with the huge fireworks stores every few miles?

G- I guess they're illegal in Utah so all the Mormon's cross the border and buy them in Wyoming.  That kind of thing never made a damn bit of sense to me.  Make something illegal in your state, and your citizens just cross the border and spend their money in the neighboring state and bring the stuff back home to use.  What good is your law?

P- Just like the dry counties in Mississippi.  It doesn't look like there is anything to do around here.  Maybe people just blow things up for entertainment.

G- There is nothing to blow up.  Tumble weed?

We drove throughout the day and the scenery never changed.  It was pretty, in it's own way, and we could see FOREVER, but there was just mile after mile of nothingness.   We did see many antelope and a lot of cattle.  We also saw fences erected in strange locations and angles toward the interstate.  We assumed it has something to do with snow; but what do we know about snow?  Also, it was windy as hell.  All in all, we agreed that it was nice to just see the diversity of our country's landscape.

P- How was this area formed?

G- I'm not sure.

P- Was it covered in ice at some point in time?

G- I don't know.

P- Is it a volcanic area?

G- I'm really not sure.

P- What causes the ground to be those different colors?

G- Beats me.

P- You see those hills in the distance?  Is that a mesa?

G- I don't know what qualifies something as a mesa. I know they have flat tops and are usually in desert.

P- Well what's the difference between a mesa and a butte?

G- For the love of Gawd, Gladys!!  How in the hell do you think I know the answer to these questions?  Do I look like a geologist?  My geology professor, at Tulane, looked like a mega dork and kept his belt so tight that it scrunched up the front of his pants!!  Do I have scrunched up pants?  I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS!!!!!  When we stop tonight, please Google them.

P- (looked at me like I was crazy, then started to laugh) Well, you do know a lot of things, and I thought your neurotic ass would have read about every inch of the land we would cover, because that's what you do when we travel, so give me some answers bitch!  (smiles)

G- Yes, well neurotic Gina would not have quit her job and used her savings to travel around the world.  You now have mellow Gina, and she does not spend much time on research.

P- Ok.  I kinda like mellow Gina.  But could you be a more informed mellow Gina?

G- Ya killin me!