Sep 15, 2010

Mile High & Dry






Whereas our journey up the coast to Canada was designed for sightseeing, our journey back to Nola was designed to visit with friends.  Jerry went off to work and Cyndie, a nurse returned home at 8:00AM and went to bed.  We spent a leisurely morning relaxing, playing on line, and drinking coffee. About midday we went in search of lunch and Mile High Stadium.  For those of you who cringe because I didn't call it The Stadium at Mile High............... blah, blah, blah.  It's still Mile High Stadium to me and many others.  For me, calling it Invesco Field is positively out of the question.

G- I'm very excited to be going to Mile High Stadium!

P - I know, my lil freak.

G- I think I'll add to my bucket list............. visit all of the NFL stadiums.

P- Fine with me.  We're at 5,280 feet in elevation?  Is that a mile?

G- Not sure, but that makes sense. I never really questioned why they called it The Mile High City, but now that you say it, that makes perfect sense.



We walked around the stadium, played in the gift shop, then headed back to Jerry's before the traffic got bad.  Denver was not at all like we anticipated!  This seems to be a recurring theme.  We expected Denver to be hilly and surrounded, closely, by mountains.  Instead, it's this large expanse of a fairly flat space with the mountains far off in the distance.  I guess our Denver mental images were more Mork & Mindy Boulder than Denver. It seemed that visually The Mile High City should actually 'look' high.

G- It might not look high, but this altituve (for those of you who remember this audio skit...... Suzie Q Liquor) is certainly killing me.  My body is so dry and my hands are swollen.  Why would my hands be swollen?

P- I have no idea why our hands are swollen, but I feel dehydrated and my sinuses are killing me.

G- I've gotten several nose bleeds already.  I was getting worried about the swollen hands thing until Maria told me that she has that problem every time she goes skiing.

P- This is why my people went to the beach instead of skiing.

G- I'm rubbing the baby oil all over my body before I get out of the shower, then putting on lotion several times a day and still my skin is ashy.

P- Me too!  I've never had ashy skin before in my life. I look like a lizard.

We spent another wonderful evening with Jerry.  Cyndie was back at the hospital and wouldn't be home until morning.  He cooked paneed chicken and we watched Food Wars which featured Domilise's & Parkway Bakery over shrimp po-boys. Our mouths were watering!!  Jerry had recently been to Nola and was kind enough to bring us a pound of Community New Orleans Blend so that we'd have enough until we made it home.