Jan 8, 2011

Hail To The King!

We had learned from other travelers that we should get our China visas here in Chiang Mai because it took 4 days, and the embassy took your passport until they gave you the visa.  We rented a motorcycle from Ron and went over to the embassy.

P - You're good with only renting 1 motorcycle?

G- Well, I'm as good as I can be.

P- And you're willing to let me drive?

G- I don't like it, but I think we'd be better off with you being in the center of the motorcycle and me being on the back so that the weight distribution is even.

P- Are you going to bitch at me the whole time I'm driving?

G- No.  I promise that I won't.  But please drive safely and don't scare me.  Also don't be scared, like you were the other day, going in between cars, and shake your wheel while you drive too quickly between them. Go slower if it makes you feel better.  I don't want to be freaked out by you acting like you're going to crash while you go through the cars.

P- Ok.  I'll drive as safe as I can, but don't yell at me.

G- I promise to be as quite as possible.  Don't scare the shit out of  me.  I like my legs and I don't want the skin scraped across the pavement.  Also, I have NEVER, did you hear me, NEVER broken a bone, and I'd prefer not to have that happen in Chiang Mai.

P- Yes, yes.  I hear you.  Don't scrape your skin and don't break your bones.  You're so demanding!

Phyl drove us to the Chinese embassy and she did a good job.  I was not more terrified than I was when I was driving. Well, maybe a little bit, but I did not say a word!  I swear!   The Asian work week is Monday - Saturday, so we assumed that the embassy would be open.  Unfortunately, it was closed on Saturday and Sunday.  At least we picked up the applications.

We returned to the guesthouse and hung out until early evening when we went to the Saturday Night Market.  It was lined down one street in the neighborhood just outside the west wall of the old city.  We walked through the street looking at the sites.  This was a Thai event and we saw few tourists.  Then we crossed the moat and walked along the food stalls just inside the city walls.  We saw beautiful cupcakes, very colorful sweet treats, varieties of grilled meats on skewers, rice, noodles, soups, fried chicken heads, fried chicken feet, and whole ducks. We purchased chicken hearts on a skewer and ate them as we walked along.

P- I love that we can buy these chicken organs for 5 Baht.

G- Me too.  They are yummy!  But I wish we could buy some grilled veggies to go with them.  I never see grilled veggies.

P- You're right.  That's obviously not something they grill.

G- You sure you don't want a fried chicken head?  They sure look tasty!

P- Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

The streets became so crowded that we decided to give up our stroll.  We had decided earlier that we wanted to see a movie and had looked on line to find the location and movie time, so we jumped into a red truck taxi and headed over to "Central" a large mall that the locals frequented.  Ironically, Phyl was much better negotiating than me, maybe it's because I had to do that for a living and since I'm on a break from 'real life', I refuse to negotiate , so she negotiated a fee of 20 Baht per person on the taxi.  When we arrived at Central, the taxi driver tried to charge us 40 Baht per person instead of total, but Phyl stood her ground, and he ultimately accepted the 40 Baht, total, that he had originally agreed upon.

Before we left home we had seen the previews for The Tourist, with Johnny Dep & Angelina Jolie, so this is the movie we had selected.  We climbed the steps to the mall entrance, passing the vendors with their wares set up on blankets spread upon the ground.  No one called to us because this was a Thai sales location. At the top of the stairs, we saw massage chairs lined up and behind them, mats on the ground where full body massages were being given.  Dorothy, you ain't in Kansas anymore. If you want a Swedish massage in a small, quiet room with soothing music and trickling water, go home.

The movie tickets cost us 180 Bahts (about $6.00 USD/person) which thrilled us to no end considering it cost $25.00 total for us to see a movie in California.  The whole time we were in Cali we only saw 2 movies.  Netflicks was far cheaper!  We purchased popcorn (real popcorn, not caramel popcorn) and a Pepsi - What you gonna do? We had no choice! At least it had ice. - for 120 Baht (approx. $4.00 total)  Then we sat at the theater door waiting for the prior movie to end.

Of course we had selected our seats upon purchase, but the theater was not even near full, so we just sat wherever we wanted.  Naturally, 4 people came and sat right next to us, even though the theater held about 200 people and currently contained only 12.  We moved over.  The previews began................  after they ended, some music started and everyone stood up..........................

P- What the hell are they standing up for? First they sit right next to us even though the theater only has about 20 people in it, now they're going to move?

G- I have no idea what they're doing.  Um, look at the screen, it's telling us to stand up.

We stood as a movie about the King of Thailand began to play.  It showed scenes from the wonderful things he had done all around the country.  Of course, it was in Thai, so we didn't know what it was saying, but the king is 88  years old and the movie never showed him older than 45.  It lasted about 5 minutes, then we could sit down.

P- Are you shitting me?  Every time these people go to a movie they have to watch this crap about the king?

G- That appears to be the case.  It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. We'll have to ask Ron about this.  And hello, I think the people know he's older than 45!

P- It's hysterical that they pretend he's young when he's really old.

The movie began and we really enjoyed it.  Angelina Jolie was dressed to the 9's in every scene and is absolutely exquisite!  Go see it.  We left the theater and got another red taxi back to the guesthouse.  It had been a very enjoyable night!

G- I am enjoying our time so much more now.

P- I am too.

G- Something seems to have changed since my breakdown and our discussion with Shannon.

P- We've just been enjoying ourselves more and seeing and doing things that make this worthwhile.

G- Yes, that's it.  I'm glad we feel better.