Jan 7, 2011

No Chicken For You!!!!!

Still not ready to do anything strenuous, we spent our day on the chaises. Around lunch time, Phyl went to the street vendor around the corner to get us some lunch. This was our favorite lunch time vendor, and the dishes were about 30 Baht ($1.00 USD) each.


P- (to the vendor) I'll have a fried rice with vegetables and a soup with chicken.

Vendor – No chicken. Seafood.

P- Ok. I'll have seafood soup. Does that have coconut milk?

Vendor – Yes, coconut milk.

P- Good. That is my favorite.

Vendor – Ok. I make for you.

Phyl watched as he made the fried rice, which seems to always be the first dish prepared. The vendor is preparing everything in one wok on one burner. After he put the rice in the container, he cleaned the wok, from a soapy bucket on the side of the cart, and proceeded to make the soup. Phyl watched as he started his broth and added mussels, shrimp, squid, oyster sauce, and soy sauce. As he started to add the seasonings (onion, lemon grass, basil, etc.), which she knew by now, came last, she asked him again.........

P- Coconut milk?

Vendor – Yes.

He cooked it for 1 more minute, then started to pour it into the bag (a thick clear plastic bag that all 'to go' soups come in – like gold fish at a fair). He never added the coconut milk, so Phyl said...............

P- Coconut milk?

Vendor – Yes. Coconut milk, but today none. You like, not coconut milk.

P- Ok. I guess I don't get coconut milk today.

Vendor – No. You like. Tomorrow coconut milk.

Phyl returned to the breeze way laughing.

G- What did you get us.

P- Well, I got us food, and I'm sure it'll be good, but it is not what I ordered. You know how it is in Asia, you tell them what you want, then they give you what they have. LMAO!!!

G- Whatever. I'm hungry, so I'll eat whatever they gave us.

P- Look at these little bags of sauce. I guess it's for the rice.

We ate the lunch we were given and we enjoyed it. When one travels through Asia, one must be flexible. And it must never be forgotten that the delicious, very fresh and filling lunch just cost us $2.00 USD!!