Jan 19, 2011

A Temporary Home Away From Home

P- Did you sleep well?


G- Not really. I kept waking up all night long hearing water sounds.

P- Water sounds?

G- It sounded like the people in the next room were bathing, but I cannot imagine that anyone in this guesthouse has a bathtub.

P- Definitely no bathtubs. We've only seen 2 since we've been in Asia.

G- I know I was hearing water. It was not a dream.

P- Look at the reflection on the ceiling. The guesthouse next door must have a pool.

Phyl opened the curtains the rest of the way and stood on the bed to look out the window.

P- Oh my gawd!!!

G- What? Is it a nice pool?

P- Only if you like swimming with crocodiles.

G- What?!

P- There are 3 walled areas with 2 pools and about 60 large crocodiles just outside our window. I can't believe it! Why would there be a crocodile farm in the middle of all of these guesthouses?

G- Now that you say it, I do remember someone mentioning crocodiles on a Tripadvisor comment when I was researching Bun Kao Guesthouse.

P- How did you forget to mention this to me?  I wonder why they are there.
G- I don't know. It's too early for me to think about it.

We lounged, drank coffee and watched a little TV. Then we went walking around Siem Reap to orient ourselves and find a place to eat brunch. After walking along the river for a few blocks, we came to a place called Rosy's Guesthouse which had comfortable wicker chairs and a western menu. We enjoyed a lunch of grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and spent most of the afternoon relaxing and reading guide books about the town and Angkor Wat. We also met a great couple, Anna & Smiley (Ian) who had been traveling for 8 years and were currently running the guesthouse while their friends, the owners, were out of town.

P- I had no idea that Angkor Wat was a large complex and not just one temple.

G- Me either. Let's get some advise from Anna & Smiley about the best way to see it.

P- This book is also very helpful.

We ended up eating dinner there as well and enjoying the ice cold Angkor draft. The location on the river was perfect for people watching and we talked to several guests, as they returned from Angkor, about the ticket options and their opinions of the different temples. We loved the atmosphere & staff at Rosy's, Anna & Smiley, and the cold beer. We had found our nesting place in Siem Reap!